If you are interested in cryptocurrency, you have probably already heard of the term “AirDrop”. In fact, you may know what it means.
But you may not know exactly why companies are doing AirDrop or even how to be wary of some AirDrop that are actually scams.
So we will see through this article all the subtleties related to this component of the world of cryptos.
What is an Airdrop?
An AirDrop consists for a company to offer tokens or corners of their cryptocurrency to people. Very often there is a quid pro quo for these tokens.
Here are some examples:
- Join their Telegram channel.
- Follow their pages on different social networks.
- Have their identity verified with the company (KYC).
Interest for a project to make an AirDrop
The question you have to ask yourself is what is the point of a company offering shares for free when it could just as easily sell them?
Again, there are several reasons:
- To make your company known at a lower cost, by asking people to take a share in exchange.
- Reward people who have supported the project from the beginning.
- Give a few tokens in compensation when sales have been faster than expected.
- During a fork, the newly created crypto will be offered to the holders of the previous one who will operate the fork.
Can we make a lot of money with the AirDrop?
The question is not whether or not we will make money, but rather how much we will earn. All AirDrops make money, but sometimes it can range from a few cents to a lot more.
There aren’t really any absolute rules about how much you can earn with each AirDrop, just as there is no way to know how much you can earn by investing in a promising project.
All you can know is the number of tokens/corners that the company will offer you at a certain period of time. Afterward, all of this will evolve according to supply and demand.
Sometimes the project may be a total failure, and you will gain almost nothing. Sometimes you may earn hundreds or thousands of dollars.
The only thing that can be said is that the more promising the project looks, the more money you will earn.
In any case, benefiting from an AirDrop is totally free. So you have nothing to lose, except your time.
How to receive your free tokens?
To receive your tokens, there are generally two methods:
- You receive them on your ethereum public key.
- You receive them automatically during a fork where your cryptos are.
What are the scams to avoid?
When there is money at stake, there will always be clever people who will try to abuse the most naive people to get money out of them.
Here are a few rules of prudence that you must absolutely respect in order to have no worries:
- Do not communicate in any case your private key ethereum.
- Do not use the same password as the one used on your e-mail box with the e-mail you are going to register with.
- Do not download any file.
- Never pay any money.
If at any time you are asked to perform one of these 4 actions, stop the procedure immediately, it is most likely a scam.